Re: [Freetype] Slow FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes function on amd64

From: Owen Taylor
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Slow FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes function on amd64
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:13:29 -0400

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 07:42, Roman Bednarek wrote:
>   Hi
>   On  gentoo amd64 I have freetype 2.1.5 installed, and the following
> short program:
>
> #include <ft2build.h>
> #include FT_FREETYPE_H
> #include FT_GLYPH_H
> #include FT_OUTLINE_H
> #include FT_TRIGONOMETRY_H
>
> FT_Library library;
> FT_Face face;
>
> int main()
> {
>     FT_Init_FreeType( &library );
>     char *filename="ariali.ttf";
>     int rc=FT_New_Face( library, filename, 0, &face );
>     if (rc) return 1;
>     FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes( face, 2048, 2048 );
>     FT_Done_Face( face );
>     FT_Done_FreeType( library );
>     return 0;
> }
>
> runs about 10s, where on 32 linux it loads font very fast.
>
>    The font file ariali.ttf is from Microsoft, arial.ttf and arialbd.ttf
> fonts are loaded normally (very fast), only italic versions(of all fonts I
> have) are very slow.
>    Can you suggest me something I can do to solve that problem? Thank for
> any help.

When something is this slow, usually the most simple form of profiling
works; make sure you have FreeType installed with debugging symbols,
run the program under gdb, hit Control-C, type 'backtrace', see
where you are. (Then try 'continue' and repeat. You'll probably
be in the same place.)

Regards,
                                                        Owen