Re: [Freetype] Confusion about bidirectional line breaks...

From: Rogier van Dalen
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Confusion about bidirectional line breaks...
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:05:39 +0200

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:35:45 +0200 (CEST), Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Thanks, now I got it.  Have you any information w.r.t. hyphenation in
> the first line of the RTL text?  Something like
>
>     He said: I UNDERSTAND THE CAT
>
> ->  He said: -REDNU I
>     TAC EHT DNATS
>
> In more complicated situations it seems to be an interative process to
> get a decent spacing...

Do you mean "interactive" or "iterative"?
Does the switching of writing directions really make much difference?
You probably need to go over various line breaks anyway; IIRC Knuth &
Plass in their article about line breaking admit that words like
"efficient" may pose problems for TeX, because the formation of an ffi
or fi ligature may influence the length of the line. They dismiss this
problem as marginal; but you probably couldn't do that for complex
scripts, even if the writing direction doesn't change.

Regards,
Rogier