Re: [ft] Testing new LCD rendering mode

From: Ismail Donmez
Subject: Re: [ft] Testing new LCD rendering mode
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:04:11 +0300

04 Eki 2006 Çar 20:51 tarihinde, David Turner şunları yazmıştı:
[...]
> They're clearly different, look at the shapes of the 2 or 6, especially the
> horizontal stems in these glyphs.
>
> I think I understand now. I forgot to mention that you should enable
> "medium" or "full" hinting in your fonts preference dialog. That's
> because "light" hinting will now always invoke the auto-hinter (with the
> exception of fonts which require the unpatented hinter to load properly,
> e.g. MingLiU).
>
> I believe it should remove the difference you see. If not, send more
> screenshots :-)

Sadly I still see problems:
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ismail/tmp/knode-new-lcd-filtering-fullhinting.png

I added following to ~/.fonts.conf ( actually changed hintmedium to hintfull
so it was already using medium hinting ) and run fc-cache after :

 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
 </match>

P.S: Thanks for working on these amazing set of patches. My eyes owe a lot to
you.

Regards,
ismail