RE: [ft] Strange hinting of cff font

From: Boris Letocha
Subject: RE: [ft] Strange hinting of cff font
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:23:36 +0100

Hi Werner,

>This is a heuristical constant; similar code is in the autohinter
>(function `af_latin_metrics_scale_dim').  I'm quite sure that there
>are reasons for it (unfortunately, there's no comment which explains
>the adjustment sufficiently) -- maybe it's necessary to `sharpen' the
>constraints to apply this miniscule scaling.
>
>Can you provide samples where this scaling is harmful?  Or do you
>observe a bad effect in general?

Sorry it was wrong description of problem, I already forgot right one
then I wrote this. What really happened was, that more characters you
"print" with attached font in 300 DPI and 10pt size it is more and more
narrower. Don't know exactly why problem is not visible in ftview, maybe
because we don't call FT_Set_Char_Size before each FT_Load_Glyph. BTW on
299 and 301 DPI it is ok. This happend only on this font so it is
probably not that general, thats why I don't pushing it too much.

Regards,

Boris