[ft] FT_Outline_Get_Orientation vs FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL

From: Ross Crawford
Subject: [ft] FT_Outline_Get_Orientation vs FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:36:35 +1100

Hi,

I have a program which uses Freetype to generate font outlines. It currently uses FT_Outline_Get_Orientation to decide (I thought!) on which direction the outlines are traced, and it seems to work with both Truetype and Type 1 fonts. But I have someone who wants to compile my program for their Mac, but it only comes with Freetype 2.1.4 installed, which doesn't have FT_Outline_Get_Orientation. I've basically said go get a newer version, but I started actually investigating, and found the FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL which IS supported in 2.1.4. Then I started debugging my program, and I found that FT_Outline_Get_Orientation is returning 0 for both Truetype and Type 1 fonts, but FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL is set to 0 for Truetype and 1 for Type 1.

So my question is, what is the relationship between the outline winding direction, FT_Outline_Get_Orientation, and FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL? Any information most appreciated. I probably won't end up supporting older versions of Freetype, but I would like to know exactly how these things interact.

Thanks

ROSCO