Re: [ft] Vertical metrics and BearingX

From: Brady Duga
Subject: Re: [ft] Vertical metrics and BearingX
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:12:41 -0700

On Mar 21, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

No problem!

First of all: Which FreeType version?

Ah, sorry - I meant to include that. I tried with 2.2.1. I then gave 2.3.2 a shot. Still seems wrong (unless I am misunderstanding BearingX, which is always possible).

Which one(s)?  Maybe I already have it so that I can take a look.

Don't think so - these are internal corporate fonts.

Maybe a bug.  Ideally, can you use FontForge to extract the affected
glyphs from your Japanese font?

OK, I have made a new font with just 2 glyphs (the ones I have seen that have a problem). Specifically, the vertical forms of comma and period. So as not to clutter the list I will forward that in a private email. If you want to give me hint as to where the BearingX is calculated, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of the work tracking this down. I tried stepping through, but it's not exactly a small code base :) The odd thing is, the bitmap coordinates seem to be correct. That is, when I render glyph and look at bitmap_left, it seems to be correct.

--Brady