Re: [ft] ftdiff

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] ftdiff
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:06:14 +0200

Hi Michael,

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:06:21 +0200, "Michael Zedler" <address@hidden> said:
> Hello,
>
> I grabbed today's CVS version of freetype2 and ft2demo and had a look at
> ftdiff. Freetype2 I compiled with the Apple Byetcode interpreter enabled.
>
> The ftdiff help screen mentions that the left column is the bytecode
> interpreter, the middle column is the autohinted version while the right
> one is unhinted.
>
> I put a screenshot on http://www.hft.ei.tum.de/mz/ftdiff.png and it
> seems that the *left* is unhinted...

Nope, the left column *is* the result of the bytecode interpreter.
that's exactly what your screenshot is showing...

Another note, the middle column uses the "rsb_delta" and "lsb_delta"
adjustement values returned by the auto-hinter; this produces *much* better
spacing that using the auto-hinted advance widths alone...

I'll add a toggle to switch this feature on/off to see the difference
later.

> Michael
>
> PS: How do I select subfonts in .dfonts using ftdiff?

You can't at the moment. ftdiff is a rather new test program, it doesn't
have all the bells and whistles of ftview at the moment. These will come,
but feel free to hack the code if you want to...

- David