Re: [ft] Origin and Line spacing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Origin and Line spacing
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:18:52 +0200 (CEST)

> I try to set the position of my text like we can do it under windows
> with GDI or .NET (font origin at the top-left) and i got two problem
> [...]

Have a look at the new ftdiff demo program which shows how to position
multi-line text with FreeType.

> First, i need to move the origin a the top-left corner of the font for
> drawing like a GDI DrawText. (I used glyph->metrics.vertAdvance to move
> my Y origin, but i dont know if is a good choice).

Using `vertAdvance' is bad.  This is a metrics for scripts written
vertically (and it is documented as such).  Most fonts don't contain
info about the line spacing -- additionally, it's really a matter of
taste.

s a rule of thumb, similar to TeX, just multiply the design size by
1.2 to get the line spacing.  For example, a 12pt font should have
about 14pt line spacing.  BTW, slightly bigger factors often give more
pleasant results (at least in printed books).

      Werner