Re: [ft] i18n fonts

From: Adam Twardoch
Subject: Re: [ft] i18n fonts
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:57:14 +0100

Russell,

Unicode does not deal with text rendering -- this is another level. The character-to-glyph transformation is being done on a layout level. The most popular layout system is OpenType Layout. Then, the laid out glyph coordinates are passed to a rasterizer such as the Microsoft system rasterizer or such as FreeType.

This should be your first reading:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/Glyph%20Processing/overview.mspx

The most popular OpenType Layout engines are Uniscribe (pre-installed on Windows, available through APIs), ICU Layout (opensource), Pango/HarfBuzz (opensource), Monotype WorldType (commercial), Bitstream Panorama (commercial). On Mac OS X, there is a number of text subsystems such as ATSUI or CoreText, but they only support OpenType Layout in a limited way (though the support was somewhat extended in Mac OS X 10.5).

A.

Russell Shaw wrote:
Hi,
I was thinking of making a multilingual text editor.

I don't get how glyphs are done outside of english.

I've read the Unicode Standard book.

When a paragraph of unicode characters is processed, the glyphs
are layed out according to the state contained in the unicode
character sequence.

Depending on this state, the same unicode characters can map to
multiple glyphs depending on context.

If multiple fonts exist for a language, then for all these font
files to work with an editor, then all these glyphs must be indexed
the same.

Where can i find the standard that specifies what glyphs are indexed
by what number? Or are these glyphs created on the fly by the unicode
paragraph layout processor?