Re: [ft] Free Fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Free Fonts
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 21:48:55 +0200 (CEST)

>> [...] in Germany those fonts are called `Brotschriften' (which
>> somehow translates to `fonts for daily use').
>
> Okay, good to have that confirmed by a German (I assume you are?)

I'll send you my second for this insult.  I'm Austrian :-)

> I assert that the general case is that all designs published in this
> catalogue are protected as artistic works (ie basically forever) and
> there are some exceptions such as the USA, France, Germany and
> Switzerland, where they are not.

Hmm.  I can't believe that for a very simple reason: If you use an
artistic work, you have to pay copyright fees.  But noone is paying
fees for using a font in a book!  In other words, font shapes in
general are not covered at all by normal copyright.  You need
something special -- the Vienna agreement or similar laws -- to get
some protection.

    Werner