Re: [ft] help with mac build

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] help with mac build
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 00:31:22 +0900

Hi,

I'm quite sorry for this lated reply. I was almost off line
of this list during last week.

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:57:41 +0200
audioboy 77 <address@hidden> wrote:
>after spending a lot of time trying and failing to build the lib with make,

Have you read docs/INSTALL.MAC? If so, but you could not build
FT2 library, I'm quite sorry, I made wrong assumption as if all
Mac OS X developer is very very familiar with the conventional
GNU-like software development on Unix. I must improve the document,
please let me know what kind of commands you executed, and
what kind of errors you received.

>i decided to go the route of building the lib manually via an xcode project.
> i made an xcode project and built the library apparently ok.

Umm, I don't use Xcode at all, I have no recommended way to
check the built binary is ok...

>then back in my application project, i included the library - but i have one
>error during linking...
>
>_ATSFontGetFileReference" referenced from:
>_FT_ATSFontGetFileReference in libfreetype.a (ftbase.o)
>
>I really would appreciate it someone can help as i've been struggling for a
>week trying to get this to work, and am basically tearing my hair out...

Again I'm sorry for your long struggling. I think, the built
binary libfreetype.a was (automatically) configured to use
CoreServices & ApplicationServices framework, to enable Mac-
specific features. There are two ways:

1) Pass "-Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices"
   to linker, to link CoreServices & ApplicationServices.

   Why they are not resolved automatically? The reason is
   following: libfreetype.a does not have the dependency
   information (what kind of other libraries should be
   linked to use this library - something like TIFF library
   depends on math library). In recent GNU-related softwares,
   such dependency informations are stored in GNU libtool
   stub library (libfreetype.la), or pkg-config-like shell
   tools (freetype-config). These files are usually prepared
   by running configure. I'm unfamiliar with Xcode, if Xcode
   does not use libfreetype.la nor freetype-config, the
   flag to link CoreServices & ApplicationServices should be
   added manually.

2) Build libfreetype.a with disabling Mac-specific feature.

   Please add "-DDARWIN_NO_CARBON" to C compiler flag,
   when you compile FreeType2. This prevent to build
   Mac-specific features, so ATSFontGetFileReference()
   won't be referred.

I hope you could solve the problem.

Regards,
mpsuzuki