[ft] libfreetype/autohint feature

From: westlake
Subject: [ft] libfreetype/autohint feature
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:44:24 -0500

Hi guys,

I have a little question on autohinting with libfreetype.

I am interested in getting into making my own font and according to fontforge's documentation on http://designwithfontforge.com/en-US/The_Final_Output_Generating_Font_Files.html

"FontForge allows you to hint your font (and even provides an Autohint function), but in practice this step is not strictly necessary. Modern operating systems often have better grid-fitting functionality built into their text rendering engines than you can create yourself without expending considerable time and effort. In fact, Mac OS X and Linux both ignore any hints embedded in the font file itself. If you do decide your font needs hinting for the benefit of Windows users, your best bet is to build the font without embedded hints, then use a specialized application such as ttfautohint to add hinting after the fact."

So my question is, is there a way I can completely disable auto-hinting?

I would like to create a font without any hinting but then I wouldn't want the libfreetype engine trying to perform auto-hinting.

If I'm correct it is the engine that decides how much extra hinting it wants to do on a particular font, and rather not the font itself.

Let me know if this is possible if I got this right.

thanks