SDF Format

From: Anuj Verma
Subject: SDF Format
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:48:05 +0530

Hello Everyone,

FreeType has recently added an 'SDF' driver which is
capable of converting vector/bitmap fonts to signed
distance field representation. Currently the driver
uses 16 bit - 6.10 fixed point numbers to represent
the final distance field data ( the maximum absolute
distances in the output is limited to 2^5 i.e. 32 ).
In my opinion ( and others too ), 8 bit output should
be sufficient to represent distance field data ( something
like 3.5 which maximum signed distance values of 4 ), so
does it make sense to replace 16 bit with 8 bit output?
What can be some other options?

If anyone has experience with SDF in a practical scenario,
can you please give me your opinion regarding this and what
you use in your application?

You can also checkout this thread:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2020-12/msg00041.html

Thanks,