Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions

From: Peter Grandi
Subject: Re: Fonts looking washed out with newer freetype versions
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:51:45 +0100

> Hello, I experience fonts rendered with the newer versions of
> FreeType as looking pale/'washed out' and somehow blurrier on
> my low DPI screens compared to their rendering with FreeType
> version 2.6.1 (with FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING
> enabled).

That "pale/'washed out'" may depend with on the gamma adjustment
you apply to the generated pixmaps when rendering them on the
target.

> [...] My fontconfig settings are slight hinting, rgb subpixel
> structure and default lcdfilter. [...]

Or it could be that you should try another filter, or write your
own, as they are compromises between a rock and a hard place. It
is hard to tell from vague descriptions like "somehow blurrier".