Re: Maximum length of 'kern' table supported in .ttf?

From: Rob T
Subject: Re: Maximum length of 'kern' table supported in .ttf?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 13:18:41 +0100

Unfortunately I noticed that creating an old style 'kern' table with 200k
entries gives incorrect kerning in WPS Office, for example the kern between A
and V reduces the width between A and V but not by as much as the GPOS version
does in a different application. As my subtables are all under 64k, this seems
to be a problem with the units not being translated properly from GPOS to kern?
i.e. all the kerning happens, but the letters are not moved as close together
as they should be.

Also, is this error relevant to Freetype?
"Note: On Windows many apps can have problems with this font's kerning, because
60194 of its glyph kern pairs cannot be mapped to unicode-BMP kern pairs (eg,
they have a Unicode value of -1) To avoid this, go to Generate, Options, and
check the "Windows-compatible "kern" option"