Re: Relationship between freetype and libfreetype and their versioning?

From: Pawel Koziol
Subject: Re: Relationship between freetype and libfreetype and their versioning?
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:45:47 +0000

>> What is relationship between freetype and libfreetype?  Do know or
>> have some tips how to map libfreetype version to freetype?
>
> See
>

> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/blob/master/docs/VERSIONS.TXT
>
>> $ otool -L libfreetype.dylib.6
>> libfreetype.dylib.6:
>>     @rpath/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 23.0.0, current
>> version 23.1.0)
>
> This looks indeed strange.  I have no idea how MacOS dylib version
> numbers are derived from libtool version numbers (which we use).  The
> rules for mapping libtool to GNU/Linux DLLs versions can be found
> here:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Versioning.html

Combining these 2 links and assuming that Macs behave somewhat similar
I could guess that I have freetype 2.10.1 (libtool version=23 and revision=1)
that only support this exact version (libtool age=0).
Maaaybe it also supports 2.10.0 because of that "compatibility version".

OK, this is something. Looks like library is not super old at least.

Thanks for the tips Werner!

Internal