fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise

From: MBR
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] A first exercise
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:37:20 -0000

Hi Holmes.  It seems that you're thinking in terms of sending a letter to the editor and a note to the author.  I'd like to propose a different approach entirely.

I just had an experience where a publication published erroneous statements on another issue.  I called the publication's editor-in-chief and had a very cordial conversation with him.  I made a point of being polite and respectful while explaining to him just what was wrong with what they'd published.  After talking for a while, I asked if they might be willing to allow me to write an article explaining my position, and he agreed to accept an op-ed from me.

In my opinion, simply sending a letter to the editor is aiming too low.  That should be a fallback position.  If an appropriate representative from the FSF were to call Cnet News' editor, you might be able to get the message out in a much more prominent fashion, and thereby get the message noticed by a much larger percentage of readers.

In any case, I definitely agree that a polite note should be sent to the author, clearly stating that the intention is not to attack him but simply to clear up a misunderstanding on his part so that he'll be better equipped to give his readers good information in the future.
Mark Rosenthal

Holmes Wilson wrote:
Hey everyone,

Here's a good example of something we'd like this list to respond to. People often send FSF emails pointing to blog posts that require some kind of response from the free software community.

This is a particularly good example, because it's not even the case that somebody's especially antagonistic to the ideas of free software-- they're just kinda lost ;)

Have a look this article and propose a response to the list.  I think in this case it would be good to draft both a comment and a short note to the author to his own email address or through a contact form (can somebody get this?).

Try to keep it clear, concise, and polite.  No cruft!  Let's discuss the best response here first before sending it through... we'd like to do things this way while we're getting started.

Also, some pretty heavy discussion kicked up over the weekend and we've had some unsubscribe requests.  I think that's natural since this will be a very active list (and people will obviously have their own questions and ideas about how best to explain free software, for example) but we should be careful to keep things productive.  This will be a lot easier when we have more work to do :)

So let's focus on this dry run and see how it goes.

-Holmes