fsf-members

[fsf-members] Re: [FSF] Your chance to get involved on the new campaign

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: [fsf-members] Re: [FSF] Your chance to get involved on the new campaign against Windows 7
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:45:10 +0200

Matt Lee wrote:
Windows 7 represents something we're calling "Windows' 7 sins", which
plays on the Seven Deadly Sins.

       1. Lust
       2. Gluttony
       3. Greed
       4. Sloth
       5. Wrath
       6. Envy
       7. Pride

I hate anti-X campaigns. However, I like this theme. Among other things, it lends itself to revamping the sequel of "Hell Gates" jokes. Let me paste a few links

http://www.suslik.org/Humour/Computer/Microsoft/gates.html
http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~cslui/JOKE/bill_gate.html
http://jokes4all.net/bill%20gates.html

We are looking for something different from our BadVista campaign. We
are unlikely to be blessed with as many mistakes as Microsoft
committed with Vista. Already, the narrative in the media for Windows
7 is, "It's better than Vista" -- so we need to focus on the bigger
picture of why society should avoid Microsoft and switch to free
software.

However, the free software community obviously is affected by windows existence. Sadly, many packages are more easily installed on Windows than, say, on a Debian Lenny system. In addition, it looks like aping Windows interfaces, in an attempt to ease migration, strikes much free software. Is this a Good Thing? Should a campaign counter it?

Here are some examples you might like to write about:

1. Microsoft corrupted the computer standards organization ISO to push
   through encumbered standards like Office OpenXML.

Would it be worth to recall the MARID case? What Microsoft did (and still does) to email is really bad...

Outlook and Exchange are very bad, even for Microsoft average quality. Delivery failure notices, in particular, are routinely corrupted or hidden.

I don't know if Live/Hotmail eventually managed to run on Exchange, but I wouldn't bet on that.

And many more...

One subject I'd like to write about is the role of computers in the history of human kind. Many people thinks that computers have been invented as "business machines" to ease accounting; someone else may suppose they have been invented for cracking German codes during the war; newbies may believe they have been invented to connect people to the Internet. The historical truth is that they have been invented as a proof of concept that "thinking" is some sort of mechanical process, not necessarily requiring a soul or a personality. I believe that is still their primary role, from an historical POV.

In that respect, one bad thing that Windows did is lobbying for its adoption at educational sites. "Computer courses" are synonyms with using a word processor and navigating the web, which does not do justice to philosophical definitions of "thought". In a hurry to expand their users base, Microsoft tends to hide the showpieces of "thinking machines". (That's also why I don't generally think it's worth to imitate their approach.) That hiding matches well with those politics that are disturbed by the fact that people think too.

Perhaps I'll expand on that, if I have time. However, I'm not sure political or philosophical considerations may be effective for that campaign...