fsfe-france

[Fsfe-france] Re: france.fsfeurope.org crashed

From: loic
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: france.fsfeurope.org crashed
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:52:13 +0200

Joel N. Weber II writes:
 > That is wierd.  It's not even responding to pings, and I don't really
 > understand why that would be.  Because unless you reboot it, the
 > kernel should be able to keep running no matter what you do.  And I
 > would have expected to see a broadcast via ``wall'' if you had
 > delibrately rebooted it, since I was logged in at the time.

It crashed at this point:

Setting up cron (3.0pl1-67) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/cron ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/pam.d/cron ...

Setting up ipchains (1.3.10-9) ...
Saving IP chains: ipchains-save clear_current_rules.
Initial saving done.

Setting up liblockfile1 (1.03) ...
Read from remote host fr.fsf.org: Connection timed out
Connection to fr.fsf.org closed.

 > I'm also inclined to wonder if it ran out of swap, except that in my
 > experience that doesn't tend inhibit response to pings.

It's probably not crashed but reset the ipchains in such a way that
we cannot reach it. I've been really stupid doing this a sunday evening
knowing that I didn't have the keys to go and fix it where the machine
is. The machine is not doing anything important but that's a -10 on my
sysadmin scale anyway.

        Cheers,