Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn
Date: 29 Aug 2003 13:32:12 +0100

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 11:52, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> > If it's possible to get it back on the agenda, we should watch them
> > fairly carefully - they have been caught trying to push things through
> > before.
>
> We need to get this back on the agenda. It is essential for a directive
> to go through and prevent any more stupid patents being granted. They
> are being granted now. No directive does not help us. It's great news
> that the current directive, which did not help has been sent back for
> modification.

I don't think that's necessarily a plausible direction - the JURI has
been asked to look at this, and it will be their recommendations that
will be voted on. It's not possible to suggest our own directive; the
only hope is to influence JURI as I understand it.

No directive does currently help us, because the probability of a
no-patents directive being voted through is vastly less than the
probability of a pro-patent directive being voted through. This may
change over time.

You're right in that a directive of some sort will be passed; the
crucial thing now will be to maintain the momentum and keep pushing the
boundary back as far towards what it should be as possible.

Cheers,

Alex.