Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: Software patents]

From: Philip Hunt
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: Software patents]
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:07:19 +0100

On Thursday 22 July 2004 11:04 am, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 10:58 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > This seems to be a standard letter sent out by Arlene McCarthy. Is it a
> > softening of her position or is it a distortion to try and curry favour?
>
> It is bizarre and strange. She will defend Parliament's position?! I
> hope so, but I don't believe it.

Perhaps, as an MEP, McCarthy is annoyed with the way the CoM has blatently
ignored the elected parliament. Perhaps also, this issue is more important
to her than the issue of software patents.

(I've no idea if any of this is true; I'm just guessing).

> I think it's more encouraging text than I've seen from her in the past,
> but I'm not convinced it necessarily counts for anything at this point.

I agree; it's too earlyb to tell whether this is a significant shift from
her.

--
Phil Hunt