[Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:27:52 +0100

[Administrivia: the subject line phrase "Fsfe-Uk Digest" now makes messages get
held for the daily moderation. The request not to use that subject line is
included in every digest, so please edit the subject and trim quoted material.
If you are writing on a new topic, please use your "compose" command instead of
"reply".]

On 2004-10-04 10:30:47 +0100 david cozens <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...] Sunday:
> Local Neighbourhood Forum, "New Forms of Democracy"
> Debate, "Creating the Commons" (Open Source) Question
> Time, and screening of rough-cut ESF Video.  Entrance
> by donation: (£10 membership +£10/£5 per day). Bureau
> de Change sterling/euro/links. See:
> www.solidarityvillage.org.

Who can be there to participate in Creating the Commons on Sunday? I'll try to
drop in on Saturday, but I really would prefer to avoid being away from home
for four weekend days in a row if possible. I'll support anyone willing to
attend on our behalf. http://letslink.org/solidarity/events/041016-creating.htm

It irritates me when supposedly freedom-minded people use the failed US
trademark term "Open Source" instead of "free software", "free media" or
similar terms. Are they scared to speak about freedom?

It would also be really good if people could ask the Creative Commons people to
address the "comparable credit" and "anti-DRM" lawyerbombs and the "author name
purge" and "supertrademark" bugs present in all their by-* licences. These
issues have been dismissed by some CC people and ignored by most, but no
material under a CC 2.0 licence can be free software. If you want more details,
see Evan Prodromou's draft summary at
http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html (which has a few bugs, but should
give you the ideas) or ask me off-list.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/