[Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: lists
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:09:18 +0100

On 10/4/2004, "MJ Ray" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 2004-10-04 10:30:47 +0100 david cozens <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...] Sunday:
>> Local Neighbourhood Forum, "New Forms of Democracy"
>> Debate, "Creating the Commons" (Open Source) Question
>> Time, and screening of rough-cut ESF Video.  Entrance
>> by donation: (£10 membership +£10/£5 per day). Bureau
>> de Change sterling/euro/links. See:
>> www.solidarityvillage.org.
>
>Who can be there to participate in Creating the Commons on Sunday? I'll try to
>drop in on Saturday, but I really would prefer to avoid being away from home
>for four weekend days in a row if possible. I'll support anyone willing to
>attend on our behalf. http://letslink.org/solidarity/events/041016-creating.htm
>
>It irritates me when supposedly freedom-minded people use the failed US
>trademark term "Open Source" instead of "free software", "free media" or
>similar terms. Are they scared to speak about freedom?

Well I, for one, agree with you here. And I'd like to go along for the
Sunday session.

>It would also be really good if people could ask the Creative Commons people
>to address the "comparable credit" and "anti-DRM" lawyerbombs and the "author
>name purge" and "supertrademark" bugs present in all their by-* licences.
>These issues have been dismissed by some CC people and ignored by most, but no
>material under a CC 2.0 licence can be free software.. If you want more
>details, see Evan Prodromou's draft summary at
>http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html (which has a few bugs, but
>should give you the ideas) or ask me off-list.

Thanks for that link... I meant to ask you about this before given that
I'm working on a project based around CC licenses. I'll have a read
and then maybe get back to you soon. E-mail is a little difficult for me
at the moment thanks to an exceptionally inept bit of work by NTL, who
accidentally disconnected me and now can't reconnect me, at home!

Regards,
Tom