Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF

From: lists
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: ECF/ESF
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:07:14 +0100

On 10/5/2004, "Ian Lynch" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:40, Chris Croughton wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:27:52AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>>
>> > It irritates me when supposedly freedom-minded people use the failed
>> > US trademark term "Open Source" instead of "free software", "free
>> > media" or similar terms. Are they scared to speak about freedom?
>>
>> To most of the people I talk to about computers, excepting the
>> already-converted GNU/Linux/etc. geeks, "free software" and "free media"
>> mean free as in "free beer" and nothing else.
>
>I use FLOSS. Shorthand for Free Libre Open Source Software. Some people
>abbrieviate to Open Source, I can live withthat but I tend to use FLOSS
>when explaining to newbies. Also made a good Acronym for the FLOSSIE
>conference and spawned FLOSSIE the Sheep - an unusual sheep because
>FLOSSIE broke from the herd to express her individuality :-)

Isn't that a mouthful, and even more to explain? Each to his own, I
suppose :-)

Incidentally, I know the FSFE officially advise against using OSS, FOSS,
FLOSS or any other hybrids. They say just use Free Software,
unsurprisingly. Is there a similar policy or recommendation from the
AFFS? Or shall we just use our own terminology and lines of explanation
when promoting the AFFS in particular (as opposed to FS generally)?

I'm all acronymed out.

Regards,
Tom