[Fsfe-uk] EU Wants Windows Cleaned of DRM

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] EU Wants Windows Cleaned of DRM
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:52:53 +0100

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,65158,00.html/wn_ascii

EU Wants Windows Cleaned of DRM

By Wendy M. Grossman
WIRED: 02:00 AM Oct. 06, 2004 PT

In a move to prevent Microsoft from using its dominance in PC operating
systems to control the burgeoning field of digital rights management,
European regulators are considering blocking the company's acquisition of an
influential DRM patent holder.

The European Commission announced in late August that it was launching an
in-depth investigation into Microsoft's and Time Warner's acquisition of the
digital rights management company ContentGuard. Its final decision is due
Jan. 6, 2005.

<SNIP>

--

==============

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html