Re: [Fsfe-uk] tender for gpl archiver

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] tender for gpl archiver
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:57:26 +0100

Graham Seaman wrote

Well, that's why I asked if it was on topic (by virtue of the gpl requirement) - I wasn't sure quite how unusual it was. It surely must have happened before - eg lgol-net ( http://www.lgolnet.org/ ) - I'm sure they didn't develop it first and then suddenly decide to use the gpl; it must have been part of the original requirements.

Answering my own question, this seems to be approved by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister:

"The vast majority of the LAWs products are available under the Gnu Public License (GPL) already, and the project has taken advice on the pros and cons of this approach. We do not expect to have to do further work on licensing in this strand, but merely ensure that the work done in the medium- and longer-term sustainability of the LAWs products continues within this licensing framework."

Taken from: http://www.laws-project.org.uk/docs2.shtml (dated Oct 20th 2004)

(unfortunately there's no new gpl-ed projects to come from this, but at least there's proper continued development and an attempt to build a user community round the existing code - it's not just abandonware, and the gpl stays. Bet M$ are
annoyed at the precedent :-)

Cheers
Graham