Re: [Fsfe-uk] [(even further) OT] Re: Explanation of Tivosiation and pro

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [(even further) OT] Re: Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:08:52 +0000

Richard Smedley wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 22:22 +0000, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
Interestingly, television has been an unusual technology so far in
that it has not had many hackers. Think canal boats, steam trains,
cars, radio - all have good hacker communities.

It depends what you mean by hacking television. 25 years ago I was involved with the British Amateur Television Club, a
group of people with home office licences to transmit
television pictures to each other.
This wasn't about broadcasting and content, just having fun
with the technology. Most people were doing 405 (or 625) line
PAL, but there were a few people dedicated to 25-line
mechanical TV gear - think of it as akin to ascii-vision ;-)

I don't know if it was the same group, but there also the people doing slow-scan stuff - sending TV using ham frequencies. People doing stuff like sending the equivalent of home videos to family in Australia, etc.

There's no technology that doesn't get played with unless the law blocks it ;-)

Graham