Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 09:06:20 +0100

On Sunday 20 May 2007 01:06:46 Guy Johnston wrote:
> If you live in the UK (as I assume because this is a mailing list aimed at
> people in the UK, and from the address at the bottom of your message), I'm
> not sure this will work. As far as I know, Microsoft's specific claims
> about patents only apply to the US, and a particular patent only applies in
> the country where it was applied for (except maybe in the EU). Also, as far
> as I know, software idea patents can't be granted in the EU (at least
> theoretically). So either way, if you're in the UK, I don't think Microsoft
> are even claiming to be able to sue you.

It doesn't strike me as a legitimate claim either in the US, either.  Rather,
it seems like a libelous campaign to make people think twice about using Free
Software/Open Source, even if they had previously been interested.  In that
context, I think this is a very good way to fight back, by showing --- not
Microsoft, but the general public --- that no one is concerned by Microsoft's
BS.  I'm only sorry that any mention of Microsoft by the FOSS movement
doesn't automatically assign the title "Convicted Monopolist".  That would go
a long way, in discussions with schools etc. about which they should use, and
who they should trust.

--
Lee