Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPLv3 last days for comment, and other news links

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] GPLv3 last days for comment, and other news links
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:18:52 +0100

Jason Clifford <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
> Trademark law is not copyright law. Given how much effort it expanded by
> FSF, AFFS and others in making this point I am surprised to see people in
> the Free Software movements arguing that copyright licenses should seek to
> impact upon trademark.

I'm seeking the opposite.  As I wrote, "I feel that GPLv3 should be a
copyright licence, not an IP one." After all, patent law is not
copyright law either, but can be used to restrict free software.

Maybe we need GPL3patent and GPL3trademark too, but why this GPL3IPR?

> The fact is that trademark law requires the registrant of a mark to
> enforce it or loose it. [...]

  "It is worth noting that some countries, in particular the United
  States, also provide trademark rights for unregistered trademarks.
  The mere use in commerce of a particular sign can turn that sign
  into a trademark, which others may not use for the same types of
  goods and services." --

http://www.iusmentis.com/trademarks/crashcourse/procedure/#Unregisteredtrademarks

I think the UK is less strict than the US, but they do seem to exist.

Hope that explains,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.