Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:24:23 +0000

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:18:45PM +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
> The FSF plan is to solely support Flash, that is a flawed plan IMHO,

Not really, the FSF's goal is to make sure that you can use any format
(be it open or closed) using free software. If you ask any "normal"
folk you will find that on their relatively short list of requirements
for switching to GNU/Linux is the ability to watch YouTube etc. That
the FSF has the wisdom to see this as important is lucky for us.

> just like solely supporting MS-Word file format would be.

But the FSF is not doing this so your arguments are a strawman. The
FSF has plashed Gnash as a priority project, that doesn't mean that
the FSF somehow "endorses" the format.

> Instead they should develop a multimedia standard for
> audio/video/vector graphics and scripting which is better

Are you kidding? The FSF has better things to do with it's time and
/my/ donations. Leave stuff like this to the W3C who have, infact,
already done such a thing, namely SVG.

> and include backwards compatible support for Flash files as an
> option to assist in the migration to an open standard.

I think this is actually on the roadmap for Gnash.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman