[Fsfe-uk] Content creation (was: BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only)

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Content creation (was: BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:18:23 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 15:13 +0000, Matt Lee wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> > I do think the FSF should make a priority of supporting content-creation
> > software, because no-one will switch to a different format if the tools
> > aren't there.
>
> We tried to reach out to all the developers of free software video software.
>
> Nobody seemed to want our help - iirc, nobody even replied to us.

It doesn't surprise me. I should have made my point clearer; I wasn't
castigating FSF for having failed to support content creation software,
just observing what I think the priority ought to be.

In many ways, the FSF might be the wrong organisation. Usually, the FSF
supports projects which further GNU. In this case, I think that's the
wrong operating system - no professional graphic artist uses GNU*. The
software would need to work on Macs or maybe PCs.

There is a project supporting an alternative format - lunareclipse
(http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight#Moonlight_IDE) - but given the
context I don't expect to see any of the anti-Flash activists on this
list go wild over it ;)

Cheers,

Alex.

* - for realistic values of "no"