Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software jobs

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software jobs
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:29:09 +0100

On 10/01/2008, Carsten Agger <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but is there some sort of directory
> of free software jobs in the UK?
>
> I'm kinda looking for a job as a developer or a consultant, but most
> things I can find is in the proprietary software industry.

Sadly http://gnuherds.org/ has no jobs at all at the moment. You can
find many wholly or mostly free software companies by looking at the
sponsors of the GNOME and KDE annual summits and try submitting your
project URLs and CV to them. If they don't have vacancies now, when
they grow they'll have you on file :-)

If you want to do consultancy, I'd recommend going self employed to
begin with and then starting your own company or cooperative, and
getting listed in the Debian/Ubuntu/etc consultants/3rd party support
pages, and doing some local marketing.

I'd also recommend going to conferences like the GNOME and KDE ones
(FOSDEM is coming up soon) and chatting to people there who do work
you admire.

--
Regards,
Dave