Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:33:10 +0000

Hi,

Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 08/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 02:23:46PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > > I'd like to see the FSF and all its advocates stop their effort at
> > > retronaming Linux as GNU+Linux
> >
> > Retronaming? Are you kidding?
>
> It saddens me that Ralph reads history this way - especially after I
> spent tens of hours on the unpublished-archived Dorset GNU+Linux User
> Group mailing list  :-(

Dave, we're the Dorset Linux User Group, as you well know.  If we wish
to call ourselves a Linux User Group I sugest you respect that, even if
you refer to a machine running Linux and GNU software as GNU+Linux.

> > > putting the backs up of many people who are on their side to start
> > > with,
> >
> > You mean like Linus and his merry men? Or perhaps ESR and the OSI?
> > Ha. Sure.
>
> The lengthy discussions on the Dorset list last month resulted in some
> list members mailing Ralph (who admins the list) offlist to complain
> about the discussion, presumably because they don't know how to use
> the advanced "mute thread" features of their email clients,

No, it was because they saw you as an individual had a position that
would not change and as long as two or three others were willing to keep
arguing the point with you then, given they were unlikely to change
either, you'd just keep making your "You're wrong.  Here, read the GNU
FAQ and you'll believe." statements along with posting verbatim chunks
of said FAQ.

They thought, rightly in my opinion and the other list admin., that the
list becoming an *endless* sequence of posts that were making no
progress on the issue would spoil a quiet list for those that like to
chat about using Linux on their Dorset desktop.  You'd made your point,
told those interested where to find further information, but seemingly
wouldn't stop until everyone was converted or stopped disagreeing with
you.

> and Ralph said "the thread is now declared closed and the topic
> unwelcome."

For which I was then congratulated off-list and on-list, except I
stopped the on-list ones getting through to avoid inflaming things
again.

> Which makes me surprised when you mentions it here, Ralph.

I didn't.  You did.  I'm talking about the actions of FSF worker Matt
Lee and the resulting long thread on the lugmaster list which only
stopped when the list admin. called a halt.

Cheers,

Ralph.