Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:16:33 +0000

Hi. I'll just jump in here..

> Sure, you can put in a new hard disk and memory, but that's about
> all you can do. You cant replace the mainboard, processors, PSU etc.

This is a very good point. IMHO it is the reason why the open "PC"
platform will ultimately dominate. It is lucky Microsoft do not
control a closed platform like Apple's "fortunate" to have to keep
it's market buttress in place. I posted about this on my web:
http://jguk.org/2008/01/open-platform-gnulinux-beat-microsoft.html

> It is when your system is hosed because the software isn't tested enough.
>
> This does happen, more than you might expect.

It's the same when I have dared to use nVidia's proprietary drivers
(as I have two flat panels). And as I cant find the old packages to
fix it I usually just bite the bullet and upgrade the install to the
next version.

> Yes, for all intents and purposes. I'm not talking exact technical
> specifications, I'm talking about something that can function well for
> checking email, surfing the web, editing photos etc. You can get a
> laptop that does all the same things you require at about the same
> performance level as the Air for half the price.

I think the Air price is due to the size. For instance Sony X505 which
has less mass than the Air and costs about the same region.