Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:43:50 +0000

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:00:30AM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
> You were robbed. The most expensive Mac PSU I can find weighs in at 295 quid
> but they start from as little as a tenner:
> http://www.applemacparts.co.uk/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=1355

The PSU/Mainbord + service cost 600. Yes, I know I was robbed.

> There's something funny about "free software ... buyer beware"

You're mincing my words. I said "free software on a mac, buyer
beware", there is a big difference and you know it.

> In that case, thank goodness my OS (Darwin) is built with free software!

I wasn't going to reply to your email, but then I saw this line.

You're kidding your self if you think that you're running a free
operating system. Statements like this confuse people and damage the
message of freedom I, and others like me, work so hard to spread.

I would love to throw my hands up and say "I'm not even going to list
all the things wrong with that statement" but I fear it will result in
even more boring flames being sent to the list. Instead I will
enumerate a few things off the top of my head:

 1) Where is the Darwin source code? No, I mean all of it. [1]
 2) Where is the Aqua source code?
 3) Where is the Finder source code?
 4) Where is iTunes source code?
 5) Why is dtrace on OS X crippled so it can't probe iTunes?

... ad nausem

[1] http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/02/24/darwin.for.x86.limits/

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman