Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Freedom to take freedom
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:32:11 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lee Braiden <address@hidden> writes:
> > [...] to restrict the right
> > to use my software for military purposes.
>
> FWIW, some previous discussion on this topic:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/hessla.html
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/freeasinbombs
> http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/barcelona-rms-transcript#q11-banning-bad-use

The first argues that governments have other software they would use,
the second seems to say other things aren't FSF's goal (not that that
stops FSF promoting some IMO-off-topic licenses) and the third
suggests that general-purposes programs should be usable for any
purpose and field restrictions would be "its own form of tyranny."

Related question: given that we refuse to support human rights in our
software licences, how can we persuade our projects to support human
rights in their purchasing decisions and so on?

Related thread: debian t-shirt production and forced child labour
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/11/threads.html#00027

Regards,