Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:52:10 +0100

On 27/01/2008, Jon Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I think Sun is genuinely becoming a totally free software company,
>  > more so than any other major free software company in fact, but its
>  > just on a decade timescale.
>
> Too little too late though? They only release when they have lost, so
>  they drop a lot of good stuff in our lap after we've switched to
>  something better and free. I'd rather Sun just threw their weight behind
>  a GNU+Linux disto now, or contributed a lot of code to the Kernel like
>  IBM do.

I read (on a sun.com blog iirc) a famous Sun person said that GPLing
Java "gave it 15 years more life."

However, their Solaris stuff (dtrace, zfs, etc) is not pony,
demonstrated with Apple's use of it (albeit crippled) in Mac OS X and
www.joyent.com's switch to Solaris a few years ago.

If they GPLv3 their stuff, as they are rumored to, perhaps a pure
GPLv3 GNU-based system will become possible: GNU+kSolaris+KDE4,
anyone? :-)

--
Regards,
Dave