[Fsfe-uk] lessig.org site supporting Adobe's proprietary Flash format

From: Jon Grant
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] lessig.org site supporting Adobe's proprietary Flash format
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:52:27 +0000

Hi Lawrence,

Just looking at your page:
http://lessig.org/blog/2008/02/on_why_i_am_not_running.html

Did you know the site is embedding a proprietary Adobe Flash file there?

I notice the video isn't offered in a modern open format like Theora
(or even any video file we could download and watch!).

In light of you being on the FSF board
(http://www.fsf.org/about/leadership.html), to me it seems a bit odd
you are supporting Adobe's proprietary format when you have a choice
to do one better than that. Is there any reason you went with a
proprietary format?  I've posted about this problem in the past
(http://jguk.org/2005/05/content-provision-accessibility-goes.html)

I know FSF have been busy supporting the development of a decoder for
Adobe's Proprietary Flash. I've tried that recently in fact, but it's
too unstable for use still:
http://jguk.org/2008/02/flakey-gnu-flash-causes-firefox-to-hang.html

I thought I would put the fsfe-uk list on CC, as someone mentioned you
were also running Apple Keynote on your proprietary Mac OS laptop.. is
that really so..? Also added RMS as he was on the last thread we
discussed about the proprietary files.

BTW, I just noticed your website still doesn't have the Ogg Vorbis
file I created (back in 2005?) from that MP3 file.. were you going to
put that up? (http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/  ..or maybe I
missed it?) At present Fraunhoffer/Thompson's patents are benefiting
from your little bit of MP3 support :)

FSF have a page up about not supporting another proprietary file-format:

All intended as constructive feedback!
Kind regards, Jon
--
linkme: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jongrant