RE: [Fsfe-uk] Europe funds internet TV standard

From: George Wright
Subject: RE: [Fsfe-uk] Europe funds internet TV standard
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:54:08 -0000

 + From: address@hidden on behalf of Shane Martin Coughlan
 + Sent: Wed 2008-02-27 09:17

Shane Martin Coughlan wrote:

> It's certainly an interesting project and worth keeping an eye on.
> Which is difficult, given that the site appears to be all Flash.

Ahem, yes, indeed. There's a definitely non-Flash post with more information
here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/02/p2p_next.html

I'm looking after the BBC's involvement with P2P-Next (*not* the homepage) and
we are planning on

1) Free Software licence for all code produced, with source available.
2) Free Software clients and liasion with distributors to attempt to get these
into ports/ repos
3) Feeding into the various communities, so that, for example, work done on
this can benefit other Free projects

and much more.

> Then the overarching P2P research project could
> be examined to see whether it will release the final technology under
> Free Software terms.

Yes. LGPL for definite, maybe bi- or tri-licenced with other OSI/FSF approved
licences.

I will raise the question about whether Tribler itself is entirely Free. Any
code that isn't won't be making its way into P2P-Next.

Happy to continue this debate in person (London, Manchester, Glasgow all
possible soon, other venues as suitable)

or by email - address@hidden

Regards

George Wright

--
George Wright
Executive Producer, Development

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.