fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for volunteers

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for volunteers
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:26:23 +0100

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 07:04:39PM +0100, Leslie I'Anson wrote:
> >I think workshops would be useful, but I think the idea of people
> >being
> >shown how, followed by generating their own keys, and then doing the
> >verification for signing is iffy.
>
> Agreed but the actual keys don't have to be generated at the workshop.

If workshop participants are there because they are new to OpenPGP and
would like to learn about it, how many of them do you expect to already
have keys generated in time for SFD?

> >Maybe we can do the workshops for SFD and follow up with a key-signing
> >event another time?
>
> I'm not sure about this. A formal workshop at the MDDA is the best
> place for this in my opinion.

Let’s forget about the MDDA for a minute, it doesn’t matter too much
where we hold events.

I think I’m getting confused, because I thought you suggested doing
workshops at SFD in this thread, so I’m now wondering why you think they
should be elsewhere.

My suggestion was:

 1. Introductory workshop at SFD
 2. Hands-on workshop at SFD

Then:

 3. Key signing event some other time, _after_ SFD

This could be at a Manchester Free Software event, or organised with
someone else, it doesn’t really matter.

> >Obviously, for those of us who already have keys, we can still
> >exchange fingerprints at SFD.
>
> Of course. The workshops will be happening regardless so it's up to you.

Again, I’m confused.  I wasn’t suggesting a formal SFD event, just that
because people would be meeting it is good for key-signing.

There are, potentially, at least four people I know of who will be at
SFD and already have OpenPGP keys.  We can easily mingle in some sort of
informal and ad-hoc manner and do the necessaries. :)

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall