fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Becta's Open Source Schools "Innovation Seminar"

From: Matthew Edmondson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Becta's Open Source Schools "Innovation Seminar"
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:44:27 +0100

Becta

Hmmm.

Why not sooner? Plenty of offers and encouragement to use FS over the last seven years.

Is it possible for a gov quango to be anything other than a M$ shop?
Is this just PR exercise?

What is so innovative? What will they do to re-engage with those who have been disenfranchised by Becta/gov attitude towards Free Software which has limited Free Software deployment in schools rather than encouraged it?

Have they solved the problem of how to pay for it? i.e. how to channel the money to those (local)suppliers who have the skills rather than those big corporations who have 'certification/quality assurance'.

What will be done to limit the amount of tax payers money that they waste on proprietary licenses each year?

What will be done to limit the effect of the Microsoft PR/hospitality machine on the decisions made by Becta?

Can they please fund us to deliver a report/research/catalogue of the ways in which FS has already been deployed in schools, despite the obstacles as a resource for schools that are risk averse?

What has been demonstrated is that it is the administrators who need the support. Would they like someone like me to deploy migration training (which might be similar to that which I successfully delivered to NGO support staff a few years ago)

all the best

Matthew

(If you get me the work, I will give you a finders fee)

Tim Dobson wrote:
Leslie I'Anson wrote:
Looks interesting Tim.

Insightful hearing teachers and Local authority perspectives... It's so easy to preach to the already converted choir.

Will you be reporting your experience of the event back to the group?
If so how? A talk perhaps?

Hmm. I'm not incredibly keen on doing a talk all I'm doing is listening and asking the questions that need to be asked! I don't claim to know anything special here!

I'll probably end up blogging it whilst live-microblogging it at the same time.

Cheers,

Tim