fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu 9.10 Release Party - 30th October
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:51:35 +0100

2009/10/18 Simon Ward <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:23:16PM +0100, Simon Ward wrote:
>> I don’t subscribe to the line of thought that suggests there are
>> missed opportunities for free software from promoting distributions
>> that encourage the use of proprietary software when it’s “convenient”.
>
> I’m unsure if there should be a “not” in there.  What I meant, of
> course, was that I believe that endorsing proprietary software,
> directly or indirectly, does nothing for the free software philosophy,
> and actually works against it.

Whereas, I think that including some small amounts of proprietary
software in order to make a large amount of free software usable for
the majority of people is sometimes necessary. I'm not saying that
it's a good thing, just unfortunately required.

I also think that it's sad people aren't celebrating the free aspects
of Ubuntu and other Linux OSs and instead concentrate solely on
critising what's missing.