fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Dan's CD

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Dan's CD
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:32:02 +0100

Lucy wrote:
> On 17 March 2010 22:01, Luke Taylor <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
>> should point out that the freedom lovin' band "I am ten Ninja" have dropped
>> out due to illness but we still have John Harris and Andrew Robinson.
>> hurray!!
>
> That's a shame, but it still sounds like it's going to be a great evening.

It was a great evening! The speakers were very thought provoking.

I asked Andrew Robinson about the concerns[1] that Pirate Party policies
would work against free software. He responded by saying that UK Pirate
Party consulted with RMS and they then tailored their policies to
satisfy RMS's requirements. The UK Pirate Party have blog post about
this[2] and their manifesto[3] has this:
"Our 10 year copyright length will include a renewal after 5 years
(allowing works that the creator is no longer interested in to fall into
the public domain after 5 years). An exception will be made for
software, where a 5 year term will apply to closed source software, and
a 10 year term to open source, in recognition of the extra rights given
to the public by open source licences."

Regards,
Mike.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pirate-party.html