fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] [Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey

From: Simon Ward
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] [Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:14:26 +0100

Well, I don’t live on Twitter, and neither have I been keeping up with
things on Identi.ca, but this is looking good - medium resolution data
from Ordance Survey to be made available through data.gov.uk

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall
--- Begin Message --- Subject: [Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:36:27 +0100 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100227 Thunderbird/3.0.3
For those who don't live on Twitter:

The UK Government has just announced its decision on freeing Ordnance
Survey data. Full document is at
http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/corporate/pdf/1528263.pdf

Quick summary of what'll be released:

- medium-resolution vector data (Meridian2), includes street geometries
and names though the curves are a bit angular: see
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/meridian2/
- another new vector dataset called OS VectorMap District, scope as yet
unknown
- StreetView raster data (includes street names, building outlines)
- postcodes, though with points ("unit centres") not areas (Code-Point Open)
- administrative boundaries (Boundary-Line)
- gazetteer (OS Locator)
- terrain data (Land-Form PANORAMA)
- a couple of negligible very small-scale maps

Contrary to original proposal, Landranger and Explorer rasters
(1:25k/1:50k) will not be included.

Data available tomorrow (Thursday) at
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendata .

Licence will be "without restrictions on use and re-use". Original
proposal was CC-BY. The response notes that several respondees (many of
whom read this list, I suspect) suggested either pure PD or the ODC
licences because of the database rights issue, but doesn't actually say
what the licence will be.

I'm sure there are a few other things we'd have liked to have seen
(aerial imagery, for example) but on balance this is a great result IMO
- and one that wouldn't have happened without OSM.

Suggest follow-ups to talk-gb.

cheers
Richard