g-wrap-dev

Re: 1.9.4 and gnucash 1.8.11

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: 1.9.4 and gnucash 1.8.11
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:03:51 +0100

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> In NetBSD pkgsrc land, Thomas Klausner and I have been trying to
> modernize pkgs, moving to guile 1.6 from 1.4, and the new g-wrap.
> Currently, gnucash is built with g-wrap 1.3.4 since we haven't been
> able to resolve issues with 1.9.x.
>
>   g-wrap comes with an gw/glib.scm and a gw-glib-spec.scm,
>   but gnucash wants (guile gw-glib), not (guile gw glib)
>   or (guile gw-glib-spec).

Oops, another thing I've overlooked (note that (g-wrap gw-glib-spec)
is the wrapset specification, its only needed at built time). This
should be fixed by
address@hidden/g-wrap--dev--0--patch-12. Currently, G-Wrap is
in bugfix mode, so you can quite safely use the development branch (at
least until 1.9.5 is out). If you need/want an 1.9.5 release, please
say so, I can roll one pretty soon.

> Thomas made a guile gw-lib that is basically copy of (guile gw lib).
> This seems kludgy, both because it seems 1.9.4 and gnucash should just
> work, but also because I'm not sure if reevaluating
>
>     (dynamic-call "gw_init_wrapset_gw_glib"
>                 (dynamic-link "libgw-guile-gw-glib"))
>     (module-use! (module-public-interface (current-module)) (current-module))
>
> in a different module will indeed reregister the symbols in the other
> module.

It should, yes.

> Still, he says that gnucash seems to work with this.

No wonder that it does, the crippled GLib wrapper shipped with G-Wrap
doesn't wrap *any* GLib function at all ;), so the wrapset is in fact
nearly empty.

> So, I wonder if gnucash is what needs fixing, or if there should be a
> (guile gw-glib) module that does a use-modules and reexport of (guile
> gw glib), thereby avoiding extra dynlink calls.

The right fix is in G-Wrap, simply renaming the generated module from
(g-wrap gw glib) to (g-wrap gw-glib).

> (My machines are still running 1.9.3 because I need guile-gnome to
> work, and it seems like 1.9.4 has the enhanced generic support which
> breaks all released versions of guile-gnome.)

That's true. The main development branch of guile-gnome works (and in
fact, requires) G-Wrap 1.9.4, though. I'll try to get Wingo to do a
new release soonish.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.