gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] feature request ansi-tests

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] feature request ansi-tests
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:58:57 -0600

Peter Wood wrote:
Hi

Would you mind grouping the tests into related categories.  So the
user could do (load "all-fn-tests") and all the tests specifically
related to functions would be defined. (load "all-struct-tests") etc.

I am already doing this myself, but its going to be a pain when the
test-suite gets even bigger (its going to be _huge_).  It helps
tremendously when working on a specific area, to be able to limit the
tests to that area.

Yes, I know there will be some overlap between categories.  And yes, I
know there 'shouldn't' be so many failures that this sort of thing is
necessary.

I have another motivation for doing something like this: running all the
tests is now causing the trial edition of Allegro CL to exceed its
heap size limit.

If you don't mind, I'd like to partition the tests by major section
of the ANSI spec.  Some of your categories (for example, structures)
correspond to these sections, but others (functions?) may not.

Running all the tests does not take too long for me (a few minutes),
but I have a fairly fast machine (Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 MB of
333 MHz DDR DRAM).

I should also add some mechanism so that you can load a file containing
tests and it will automatically compile/load any files those tests depend
on.

        Paul