gcl-devel

Re: Some history, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: Some history, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?
Date: 14 Apr 2004 10:37:05 -0400

Greetings!

Jeff Dalton <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoting Camm Maguire <address@hidden>:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Jeff Dalton <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > I've done a lot of work with KCL/AKCL/GCL over the years
> > > (including porting it a couple of times), and I'd like to
> > > start using it again if it's being actively supported,
> > > which it sounds like it is.

> > Wondering what ports you've done in the past.
>
> It's hard to remember, because it was so long ago.  I've even
> had to search the net for things that would prompt my memory.
> I found some things I'd completely forgotten, and some
> I misremembered; and in some other cases I'm no longer sure
> who did what or whether the Lisp was KCL or AKCL.
>
> Anyway, some friends (Richard Tobin, Alan Black) and I got KCL
> working on Minux.  That was before 386BSD came out.  We also
> ported to NetBSD and FreeBSD.  Richard used to distribute
> the files needed to make AKCL 1.615 work with NetBSD 0.9.
>
> Sometime around 1990, I ported KCL to a Gould machine.
> That was difficult, because of the machine's segmented
> architecture.  (I misremembered that one.  I thought
> it might have been to a GEC 63, but it was the Gould that
> had the tricky architecture.)
>
> I also ported "the usual June 1987 KCL (rather than AKCL) to
> the [Sequent] Symmetry", and, later
>
>   AKCL 1-605 to a Sequent running their new OS, PTX.
>   (This is different from the Sequent port that was already
>   part of AKCL-1-605.)
>
> I'd forgotten all about those two, so I'm quoting from some
> old messages I found.

Wow ...  truly honored to be in the presence of such a veteran!

In any case, your experience with netbsd might be really valuable.  We
have a user (Magnus) trying to get gcl et. al. up and running on
openbsd.  We're at the stage of unexec, which for some reason is not
dumping the static memory areas in the saved image.  Do you have
access to such hardware?  Would you be interested in helping with this
or any other area of GCL development?  If so, you could register at
savannah as a user and I could set you up as a GCL developer with
write access to CVS.

Take care,