gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Windows

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] GCL on Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:13:34 +0100

Hello Bill,

On 15 Dec 2004 at 3:42, Page, Bill wrote:

> So with all these choices:
>
>   USERPROFILE
>   ALLUSERSPROFILE
>   ProgramFiles
>   CommonProgramFiles
>   APPDATA
>
> which of these would be the most natural choice for the
> default directory when a Windows user starts GCL from Start
> or a desktop icon? If they load a file, save an image or
> read or write to a file that needs to be accessible to some
> other application program, will it be easily accessible?

I am not sure that I understand what you mean here?

> Most windows users that I know are completely unfamilar
> and often confused if I show them the windows
>
>   C:\Documents and Settings
>
> directory since 'My Documents' is the only directory that
> they see. But that directory is not among the choices
> above (it is a subdirectory of $USERPROFILE I guess).

The only "obligation" is for the shortcuts : they ought to be installed in the
menu and on
the desktop according to the value that is chosen for HOME, i.e. either
USERPROFILE
or ALLUSERSPROFILE. That can be done vey well with Nsis. Besides that,
everything
is optional, of course.

If one wishes to be consistent with the already existing directories of Windows:

If gcl (and axiom and maxima) can deal with filenames with spaces, the defaut
installation directory for binaries ought to be a subdir of $ProgramFiles, e.g.
$ProgramFiles\Gcl, $ProgramFiles\Axiom (or $ProgramFiles\cas\Axiom, etc), and
the
default dir for configuration files of gcl ought to be a subdir of $APPDATA
(e.g.
$APPDATA\Gcl).

If the same gcl was used as an external resource by Axiom, Maxima etc. the
default
installation directory could be $CommonProgramFiles\gcl if it seems better for
some
reason to keep only one copy of it.

As for the user's files, the default location could be $USERPROFILE\My
Documents\Gcl for personal documents, and $ALLUSERSPROFILE\My
Documents\Gcl for demo files or shared documents.

If blank spaces in directories pose problem at some points in gcl or axiom, the
best, I
think, would be to define an AXIOMDIR variable at installation by extracting
the disk
name from $ProgramFiles and take $diskname\Programs as default (modifiable by
the
user), and write it in the registry.

Best wishes,

address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden