gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] SGC disabled on Mac >= 2.6.6

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] SGC disabled on Mac >= 2.6.6
Date: 15 Jan 2005 16:36:23 -0500

Greetings!  Sorry for the delay.

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Camm --
>
> Please see comments below.
>
>    Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>    From: Camm Maguire <address@hidden>
>    Date: 09 Jan 2005 16:19:28 -0500
>
>    Greetings!
>
>    Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Hi, Camm --
>    >
>    > If it's very easy, a minor change would be to replace "non-std" with
> "nonstd",
>    > since the tar file is nonstd.tar.gz and we always call this "nonstd"
> anyhow.
>    >

>    Thanks!  Done.
>
> Thanks.
>
>    > I'm curious:  If the user needs to fetch and compile sources, what does
> the
>    > debian package offer beyond what is available directly from the ACL2
> home page?
>
>    Only the user who wants workshops and/or nonstd must fetch the
>    sources.  At our last consultation on this matter, we thought these
>    users would be a small minority.  If issues like these persist, we
>    should probably make binary packages of workshops and nonstd too.
>
> I think we did the right thing by avoiding binary packages for workshops and
> nonstd.  What I was wondering, though, was whether users who wants workshops
> (or nonstd) would find it any easier to fetch the debian source package than
> simply to fetch everything from the ACL2 web site.  (I don't see why they
> would
> find that any easier, but that could be because I'm missing something; so I'm
> asking because I might learn of an advantage of debian source packages of
> which
> I was unaware.)

Oh, I see.  Well, to begin, you can build packages from source with
the same command one uses to install the binaries.  (i.e. 'apt-get
install acl2', apt-get source acl2 -compile). Build-dependencies are
automatically verified before proceeding, and compilation aborts with
a list of the needed dependencies if any are missing.  There are even
automated tools (e.g. pbuilder), to pull the source and all
build-dependencies automatically into a special chroot sytem writable
by a normal user, run the compile, spit out the final .deb binary
package, and clean up all automatically.

BTW, the acl2-2.9.1 symlink is dangling.

Separately, as you know we are pushing out a quick 2.6.6 with minor
bug fixes only.  I'm disabling sgc on the Mac until Aurelien has time
to look into the sgc/save instability.  Not having sgc is not a big
problem here is it?  If memory serves, standard gc with
*optimize-maximum-pages* was better in some respects.  In any case,
this should get acl2/gcl/mac users going out of the box without the
(fmakunbound 'si::sgc-on) work-around.

Take care,