gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 licensing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.6.8 licensing
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:55:04 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:
>
> | A change to the most recent licenses will make things consistent with
> | FSF's current way of thinking about open source, though more
> | aggressive developers seem to think it's restrictive.  Given the
> | typical users and usual applications of GCL, this may not be an issue.
>
> It is my opinion that GPLv3 goes a bit too far -- but I would dispute
> the label "aggressive developer" :-)
>
> | But I'm not sure -- if GCL is licensed under GPL3, does that mean that
> | anything built with or under it will also have to be licensed under
> | GPL3?  (I guess that's why Camm is querying the Axiom list.)
>
> Indeed.  That does have some implication for systems like the AXIOM family.
> If I understand correctly, it will be a move from LGPL to GPLv3?

Please excuse my ambiguous wording.  The proposal is to license GCL
under LGPLv3 (currently LGPLv2), and the documentation under the
FDLv1.3.  The LGPL 'library' license is non-viral for apps such as
axiom.

> | And copyrighting GCL under the FSF seems like a reasonable idea, but
> | without Camm, GCL would be fairly well static, I think.
>
> well those are separate issues, I would think.  Having FSF owns
> copyright relieves from some legal paperwork and burdens.  That is
> largely orthogonal to who actually does the development work.

Yes, this is orthogonal, and not too pressing.  But I do wonder if the
copyright holder has final say over issues such as licensing, which
might not be the case now.

Take care,